Trucking is an interesting industry. We’ve compiled a list of 10 fun trucking facts you may not know from various trusted sources. We hope you enjoy!
1. The top transported goods in the United States are clothing, food, furniture and electrical and machinery equipment/goods.
2. In 2012, the trucking industry accounted for 12.8% of all of the fuel purchased in the United States.
3. The EPA emission regulations from recent years have cut the exhaust output of heavy trucks and off-road equipment over 95% in the past 19 years.
4. The trucking industry collects, on average, $650 billion in revenue each year. That is about 5% of America’s GDP.
5. The trucking industry is expected to grow by about 21% over the next ten years.
6. In the United States, there are over 200,000 female long haul drivers.
7. A commercial truck uses, on average, 20,500 gallons of fuel per year. In comparison, the standard car uses, on average, 500 gallons of fuel per year.
8. The primary cause of trucking accidents is failure to stay in the lane.
9. Four of the most common errors in large trucking accidents include: traveling too fast for the conditions, brake problems on the truck, performance error and driver fatigue.
10. According to Career Builder, the mean national salary for truck drivers is $44,500.
Copyright 2017. S&J Transportation Inc. All Rights Reserved.